Monday, February 25, 2008

This is our Family

Who we are and where we are going - a message from the new Secretary Treasurer of Medical
Staff, Dr. Mike Neskovic

Dear Employees, Nurses and Doctors:
I am really impressed and humbled by being a physician on active staff for the last 15 years in our great Glendale Memorial Hospital. It is also an honor and a humbling experience being your Secretary Treasurer, a Medical Staff Officer in one of the 100 best heart hospitals in the nation.
How did we achieve this great honor is still a mystery to me, but I do know the part of the answer. I was a physician in Yugoslavia, in Chicago's best hospitals, in Galina, Illinois' hospital, in Daytona Beach, Florida hospital, and I am on medical staff in all three Glendale hospital's too, but I have never felt that feeling of belonging like I do feel from the very first day in Glendale Memorial Hospital.

All of us associated in any of the hundreds of different ways with Glendale Memorial Hospital, are indeed like a big family. Yes, this is a place where we work, but much more than that. I know personally many of you, some of you are my own patients, who chose this hospital for your own medical needs and needs of your own families. There are many doctors on the staff actually doctor's doctors, which is the highest honor any doctor can achieve. Just to mention a few: Dr. Polito, Dr. Perez, Dr. Don Lee, Dr. O'Connor, Dr. Karayan, and Dr. Finstead are really the best doctors that I ever knew and they are indeed doctor's doctors. They are trusted by many to treat our colleagues, doctors and their families too. When my own father had surgery in Glendale Memorial Hospital, nurses told me that at that same time on the same floor two other doctor's fathers were hospitalized at the same time.

See, my dear friends, our hospital is doctor's hospital and doctors families hospital too.
Our plastic surgeon, Dr. Vatche Bardakjian's father just passed away and sure enough medical staff sent to him words of condolences and flowers. We did talk to Dr. Bardakjian and shared his grief and sorrow with him. This reminds me of that old saying, “A joy shared is a double joy and a sorrow shared is half the sorrow!” This is exactly how we are dealing with our employees, nurses, doctors, our medical administration and our friends here in our dear Glendale Memorial Hospital.

Times are changing dear friends. Our hospital is now 75 years young.

THE LETTER
February 23, 2003
Even the writer of this small essay is already a 50+ member. Yes, on February 16, 2003 I had my 50th birthday. I understand that I am different than many people I Know. In a special way I welcomed my 50th birthday and actually advertised it to everybody I know, even on the local radio and the television too.

It is my turn now to experience the second 50 years of my life and it is Glendale Memorial Hospital's turn to start its second 75 years, and yes for sure we are ready for it. Let us be healthy, enthusiastic, strong, positive, but also humbled with the privilege with sharing this hospital with many great people and humanitarians. Maybe some of you remember a great doctor, late Dr. Elwyn Stiles who was on staff in this hospital for an incredible 55 years. Maybe you remember also Dr. Phyllis Moeller who just retired and who is still so young and healthy. I think Dr. Moeller was the very first woman, Chief of Staff physician. I am proud to say that both Dr. Stiles and Dr. Moeller were and are my special friends and my mentors, and I will always respect, use and honor their great advice, wisdom and example and pass it to our younger colleagues too.

My dear friends, yes Glendale Memorial Hospital is our family. It is indeed a healthy, functional family and I am proud and humbled to be a physician on active staff here and your new Secretary Treasurer, which I consider the highest honor given to me. I also want to welcome our new President and CEO, Ms. Katherine Pelly, R.N. I wish Ms. Pelly to lead our hospital with the Christian love and with healthcare ministry in mind, to help our nurses, doctors and other staff to practice even better medicine and to go boldly toward even more prosperity and success.

SPASOJE M. NESKOVIC, M.D., A.A.F.P., A.Q.G.M.
Medical Director for Prevention Services and Senior Care
Secretary Treasurer Medical Staff
Glendale Memorial Hospital and Healthcare

No comments: